Re: Amel's suggestion to run the Volvo D3-110 (A54) daily while on passage

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Scott,

This same suggestion is written in the SM’s owner’s manual.

Another cruiser, marine engineer, seized his engine while on passage Tonga to N.Minerva island.  Luckily, we freed the engine and with the extra oil carried on my old girl, managed to get the engine working correctly and after informing him of the Amel procedure, he decided to run his engine every day for 30 minutes.

It is preventive in nature

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Opua, NZ

On 7 Jan 2020, at 15:22, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Given the spate of failed Volvo D3-110 engines and more than a few with seawater found in the cylinders, I am inclined to believe that there is a design weakness in the exhaust system on A54s. I do not know if the exhaust system is significantly different on the SM and other prior models but it does seem we only hear of flooded A54 engines.

In any event, I read the following in my manual and at least two other A54 owners had never heard this advice:

"You must run the main engine everyday of sailing for 15 or 20 minutes (in 1 or 2 times) to drain the exhaust circuit from the seawater the waves that fill in it."

Am I the only one who does this?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69