Re: Amel's suggestion to run the Volvo D3-110 (A54) daily while on passage

James Alton

Nick,

   In 3 years of sailing I have checked my muffler a few times after heavy weather to see if it had excess water in it and so far the level has been about the same, filling the bottom 30% of the can.  The exhaust hose on my boat loops all of the way up to the bottom of the deck so is pretty high above the waterline but does not have a check valve/flap in the system.  I have often wondered if it might be possible to install a water level sensor of some sort inside of what serves as the water lift muffler on my boat activate an alarm?  Has anyone else tried this?   Perhaps that could also be a possibility on your A54?   Draining the muffler certainly would be effective so long as one remembered to do it!  Once the water is removed you of course would then get exhaust into the boat if the drain port was left open so something to consider.  I agree an interesting thread.

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Jan 10, 2020, at 6:06 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

This is an interesting thread. I am not sure why I hate running the engine at sea unnecessarily, but I do.

On the 54 the exhaust out from the Vetus muffler is a large rubber hose that rises up to near the level of the cockpit floor, before flowing down to the hull skin fitting. In my opinion this is a good installation and unlikely to allow water to be forced into the engine especially considering the additional flap that will prevent waves from being forced in the exhaust line.

I believe that so long as the boat is actually sailing there will be no problem as the water will be sucked out of the pipework from the flow of water along the hull. This is due to the Bernoulli Principle, (a bit like the Ventouri effect) which is why a self bailing slot in the bottom of a sailing dinghy draws the water out whilst sailing but when stationary lets it in.

I can see that whilst hove to and more or less stationary there could indeed be a situation whereby water works its way into the muffler and then gradually fills up the exhaust outlet between the engine and the muffler. This is the one time when we really do not want to be worried about such a situation.

So in conclusion we need to be either mindful of this potential situation and run the engine or come up with something else.

I like Leslie’s suggestion of running a hose from the muffler drain point to the bilge. This would drain any water that accumulates in the muffler. It would be easy to install and one could test it and see just how much comes in….does anyone see a problem with this idea?

Nick

AML 54-019
Ashore Kilada Greece

On 10 Jan 2020, at 09:35, Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

The flap valve is in the exhaust outlet fitting /// you can see it if you swim around the port side, or when you're hauled out.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437