Re: Amel's suggestion to run the Volvo D3-110 (A54) daily while on passage

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent,

I thought I had replied but it seems to be lost somewhere. I have a large diameter stainless tube at the end of the exhaust just inside the hull and the exhaust is attached to that. I assume the flap is in there. I have never gone looking. I think we are wise to follow Amel advice as to starting the engine daily. Those of us with wind and solar who don't need the genset  every day would likewise be sensible to do a daily start.

Regards

and best wishes for the New Year

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 11 January 2020 at 09:53 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
So do we have a flap valve somewhere in the system?  I thought it was supposed to be at the muffler.  Do we have one at the exhaust exit thru-hull?
If not, should we?

I have been aware of the fact that water can backflow into the engine on a port tack, and do run the engine and generator a couple times a day while at sea and have had no problems so far.

Kent
Kristy
SM243

On Jan 9, 2020 1:29 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Kent, We have the same. Identical including the tread on top.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 10 January 2020 at 03:23 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Kristy (SM243) has a stainless steel mixing "box" instead of a Vetus muffler.  Pic attached.  Is there a flap valve here as well?    If not, can one be added to the exhaust hose?  If that's a bad idea, should I be getting a muffler?

Thanks,
Kent and Iris
Palm Beach FL heading to Bahamas and S with the next weather window.
_._,_.
_._,_