Re: A54 rudder removal

Tom,

I don't believe there is a safe answer to your question. For example if you are at anchor with the boat rocking fore to aft, obviously you should not attempt this job.

The packing should be above the waterline, buI have seen Amels so overloaded that it is not safe to use the bow thruster in the water tool.

Since many Amels are overloaded and even calm marinas can have surges, I would do this job when out of the water, but I know that Amel Martinique has done this in the water.

Each owner should evaluate his situation.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020, 5:23 AM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,
Does that advice pertain to the SM also? Or does changing the packing require a haul-out?
Thanks,
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Martinique

On Jan 15, 2020, at 9:17 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

You do not need to remove the rudder on the 54 to change the packing. You need to remove the top of the rudder post (the quadrant). Then remove the packing nut from the rudder post, remove the old packing, then insert new packing from Amel, and tighten the nut. In 90 days, you will likely need to tighten the nut again.

I have more detailed instructions, but considering your experience, the above will likely work for you.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 6:24 PM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I want to remove my rudder to change the stuffing and do a general inspection, but have no clue as to how this is done, so would very much appreciate a point in the right direction.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--