Re: A54 rudder removal

Paul,

They are installed in layers. Sometimes, replacing the first layer is all that is needed, but there is no guarantee. If you replace the first layer, it may still leak at some point in the near future. That choice is yours.

I am not sure what tools you are using to remove the packing. There are many different tools available:
image.png

I hope this helps you.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 10:46 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Bill,

After painstakingly digging out one of the existing stuffing rings I see no sign of dampness and the one I see below it seems to be in pretty good condition. As far as I know this is the first time this has been done and the boat is 12 years old. So I’m wondering if there is any point in going any further? I could just replace the one I dug out. What would be your advice?

And if I do need to replace all three then is there a prescribed technique for removing them? For the top one I just hacked away any which way I could!

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98