Re: Aluminium anodes for Sidepower

Paul,

This falls into the category of "If you look long enough, you can usually find different opinions and sometimes, even different facts. Maybe my response can be considered as falling into that category, but I am making it in the spirit of helping Amel owners.

I believe this to be true: Generally speaking, Aluminum is for fresh/brackish water and Zinc for saltwater. And, generally speaking, you never mix aluminum and zinc in a bonding system. If you want to know for sure, I would ask Amel. The reason I would ask Amel rather than SidePower, or anyone else is that others probably don't know that the Amel bonding system is connected to the SidePower bow thruster and this may cause an issue of mixing aluminum and zinc in the same bonding circuit. That said, in the SidePower installation and user manual states that "ZINC ANODES" are to be used. Lastly, we should all be cautious about changing proven and working systems and devices, especially when we are not completely knowledgeable of the system or device and their interconnections to other systems and devices.
image.png

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 2:02 PM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I came across this https://www.boatzincs.com/sm201180.html where it says aluminium anodes are superior to zinc for the Sidepower thruster. Has anyone had any experience using aluminium anodes?

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.