Re: Amel 54 Emergency Tiller Storage Location

Arno Luijten

Hi Paul,

I used a piece of pontoon wood (whatever that hard-wood is called) and cut strips of 30-40 cm from it. I then put these on the bulkhead vertically so they would create a hook to prevent the emergency tiller falling off the small ledge.
The bulkhead is not very thick, 12 mm or so. So to fix the wood I used screws of only 10 mm sticking out of the pontoon wood. To make sure the things would hold I put 3M 5200 compound between the bulkhead and the wood. So the screws were more there to keep the wood in place during the setting of the 5200. Make sure you sand and de-grease the surface of the bulkhead at the point of attachment. 3M 5200 is incredibly strong so I have no worries about detaching. It has been fine for 1.5 years now. I also put some small blocks of wood on the ledge at either end of the tiller to prevent it from sliding left or right. I can make a picture if you want.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121