Re: Mobile communications - 4G, WiFi

Ryan Meador

Gerhard, thanks for including those diagrams.  That makes it a lot more clear what I was trying to say in my earlier post.  The directional antennas are great if you can be sure it will always be pointed in the right direction.  On a mooring, it's not going to work very well.

You bring up a good point about the DHCP configuration.  The easiest way to fix it is isn't to turn off DHCP on one of them, it's to ensure they assign from separate IP ranges and ensure one is plugged into the uplink port of the other.  Then the downstream router will get an IP from the upstream one just like any other device.  I recall this was very easy to set up with the Mikrotik routers.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 5:31 AM Gerhard Mueller via Groups.Io <carcode=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I still have the old Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP which is similiar to the Groove.
Depending the conditions I use 2 different kinds of antennas.
The usual rod antenna has the characteristics as shown below:

360 degrees horizontal but only a small angle vertically.
That means the antenna should be mounted as near as possible to the horizontal line to the access point.
However a directional antenna has this characteristic:

That is nearly same quality horizontal and vertically.
So if you know the direction to the access point take this one.

Another thing to know: My Bullet as well the Groove are routers. When you attach them to another router in your network on board the boat then only one router in the network can be configured as DHCP server which handles the IP addresses in your network. Otherwise the network is blocked.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60