Re: Crossing Pirate Waters

Mark Erdos

My 2 cents on this:

I prefer not to have my feed from this group junked up with people selling Amel shirts, books on Amel travels, blogs with Amel owners, video channels featuring Amels etc.

While I’m sure Julie is a nice person and is passionate about her book, this is not the forum for self-promotion. She needs to establish a commercial fund to promote her book rather than trying the self promote “free” route at our expense. She can, at no-charge start a fan-club page on FaceBook, promote her page using paid ads and grow her membership. People wishing to follow her awaiting for the trilogy can do so.

This is what is stated on the front page of our group:

This Group frowns on commercial postings, however we encourage postings which will genuinely help Amel owners source needed parts and services. We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings. Care should be taken to not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor. Please refrain from political issues, rude, or inappropriate language. Please refrain from criticism of persons or businesses which you may have experienced unsatisfactory results, because it would be one-sided, without the ability of the other side to respond.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Pitt
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:54 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Crossing Pirate Waters

I am with Brian and most of the others in support of Julie's posting.  Her book is about sailing an Amel and that makes all of the difference.  I too would not have known about it without her first post many months ago. I bought her book and enjoyed reading it in part due to the Amel angle.

Mark Pitt

Sabbatical III, SM#419

On 1/23/2020 4:48 PM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:

I do not think anyone argued the value of Julie's book. Some people wrote to me about it because they felt it was too commercial.  "Too" is in the mind of individuals i

We are currently working on a solution that will satisfy those for and against promoting commercial interests. We envision creating a sub-group for commercial postings that members would need to opt-in to the group.

I may be a few days or a few weeks.

--

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. 

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM Brian Riggs <7briggs@...> wrote:

I've got both books in my Amazon cart now, and I'm looking forward to reading them. I would have never known about these two books without the blurb on here. I'm throwing my hand up in support of this type of advertising as well. Everything else has already been said.

Cheer!

Brian Riggs

Future SM Owner

Hampton Roads Area

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.