Re: [Amel] solar power

Iv Pepe <iv_pepe@...>

HI,
How big (wats) your solar panels are?
We order  two 24V semiflex solar panel 2.2A each, for marine use  5mm thick.
they do not get hot ( acording manifacturer SUNWARE ) Can we get abb. 50A per day?
Pepe
SM 223

--- El dom, 3/5/09, Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@sbcglobal.net> escribió:

De: Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@sbcglobal.net>
Asunto: Re: [Amel] shaft driven alternator
Para: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Fecha: domingo, 3 mayo, 2009 11:20

I use my shaft driven alternator and generally get 6 to 8 amps at 6 or 7 knots. Little if any noise in the aft stateroom, and I don't notice any reduction in speed. I have run with the trans locked out in a steady wind measured the speed, then released it with no change. Solar power is really limited. The largest array only puts out about 7 amps, and that is if the panel is cool, and only between about 11:00am and 3:00pm on an average day from May through September northern hemisphere. I am in California and I average closer to 4.5 amps., from about 10:00am to 5:00pm. Be sure you have a controller installed, because the panel will discharge at night if you don't. Never tried a wind generator, but it looks attractive.

Eric Maramu 105

--- On Fri, 5/1/09, David and Hazel Worthington <spritoaffine@ yahoo.co. uk> wrote:

From: David and Hazel Worthington <spritoaffine@ yahoo.co. uk>
Subject: [Amel] shaft driven alternator
To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Friday, May 1, 2009, 4:43 AM

Hi All
Due to the charges being imposed by marina operators now for electricity in the Med I have been considering various options to allow free battery charging

Our rattly Max Prop needs rebuilding and I was wondering about replacing it with a standard fixed prop in order to use the propshaft alternator but am concerned about loss of speed and increase in noise when sailing, does anyone still use their prop driven alternator or has everyone turned to solar and wind power instead. I understand we would need a 19 inch prop but am not sure whether the 13 mentioned is inches or degrees of pitch. Our aft cabin is too noisy to sleep in on passage due to propshaft/cutless bearing noise even after replacing the cutless bearing, is this normal? Also would we go backwards straighter with the Max Prop or a fixed prop? we don't have a bow thruster
Your opinions would be appreciated
David and Hazel Sharki 148

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.