From Polynesia west: Fiji-Vanuatu-Solomons_PNG-Indonesia-Singapore: A request for information and advice.

Porter McRoberts

I write as IBIS is on the hard in Opua, we’re back in the USA for a spell and then back to Opua and to Fiji then west in May-June.

My principle request to other Amelians is were looking for any resources re the next leg of our voyage as stated in the subject line, and for suggestions re: our route

Were getting ready, in every way but also downloading GE Kap files for openCE, getting visas and talking to the local guy Raymond who runs the Indonesia rally etc.

Questions if any of you might be so kind:

1. PNG. Enticing! and dangerous. Any suggestions for a safe route? We've read the US and UK state dept advisories, We know Totem fairly well and have read a fair amount of blogs, the noonsite articles etc. There appears to be no cruising guide. Anyone know of Amelians or others who have recently sailed this way?

2. Great spots, suggestions in Vanuatu?

3. Great spots, suggestions, places to avoid in Solomons?

4. To head through the Torres strait or north of Guinea island? South route would include Darwin before heading north up to Raja Ampat, Going north seems quite a bit more direct to Raja Ampat, but then with some check-in difficulties and possible unrest near PNG main island:guinea. Trades likely stronger south route?

5. Well be running late for the typical July start dates for the indonesia rallies. Ive communicated with Raymond Lesmana, seems like a great guy and assures me he can handle any needed paperwork. Any security concerns for Indonesia to singapore for sailing yachts. He says “none.”

6. What are we missing?

As always, were so indebted to this group and the Gurus we find here! You know who you are!!

Thanks for any intel.

Porter and Helen McRoberts

S/V IBIS A54-152