Re: Grounding for solar panels / solar arch

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Thanks guys! Glad to hear the arch and panels were set up properly. I think I'll remove the MPPT grounding to the generator and call it a day. I was unsure of making that connection in the first place.

On a side note, and likely covered in a seperate topic... are all your seacocks/through hulls bonded or isolated? Some of mine look like they were connected at one point but now I find cut grounding wires in some places... no signs of corrosion but obviously I can't see the whole picture.

Thanks,
Mike
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, 1:18 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

On Jan 26, 2020, at 4:32 PM, SV Trilogy <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've done some searching but haven't found a definitive answer. I'm curious for those of you with solar panels mounted on an aft arch (mine is aluminum)... do you have any grounding in place? My panels and arch have been in place for roughly two years and I haven't noticed any problems. No other equipment on the arch at this point. Does grounding just protect in the event of a panel failure/short/leak?

The MPPT controller is grounded to the generator. Is this OK?

Can anyone recommend some tests I could perform with the voltmeter to make sure everything is OK?

Thanks,
Mike
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ