Re: Super Maramu Main Mast Furling foil Sheered

Patrick McAneny

It would seem to me that a bushing or sleeve slid up inside the foil would need to held in a fixed position relative to the foil ,otherwise it would be free to rotate within the foil and not take pressure and wear off of the foil itself. Preventing the sleeve from rotating with the foil could probably be accomplished either by coating it in epoxy while inserting it  or by installing a second bolt 90 degrees and slightly above or below  the original bolt ,drilling a new whole through the foil and sleeve. I will have to check for this problem that until now did not know existed , this is yet another example of the value of this site. This could be a real problem in heavy conditions ,for this defeats the manual furling ,necessitating taking the main down at sea in strong conditions. I am getting ready to drop my masts in preparation to put my boat in a shed to have my boat painted, and will preemptively do this repair . I think a solid aluminum plug may be the way to go .
Thanks for the heads up,
Pat McAneny
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jan 28, 2020 12:10 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Super Maramu Main Mast Furling foil Sheered

If there is noticeable play back and forth between the main foil and the bolt, is there anything one can do to slow down or minimize the metal-on-metal wear and tear? Perhaps a bushing or sleeve on the bolt would eliminate the gap, but there probably isn't enough space above and below the bolt as all the wear is horizontal.

Waiting until the foil shears itself would probably create some unneeded excitement at sea. Cutting/shortening the foil before it fails seems wasteful. Has anyone tried what Nick has suggested? An internal bushing slid up inside the foil to spread the loads and reduce fatigue seems like a good idea. Or perhaps with proper care the "three lives" provided by design is enough to cover one's lifetime if not the boat's lifetime. If that's the case, would it be advisable to cut my foil preemptively?

Graham, will you attempt any extra reinforcement when you do your repair?

Mike
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.