Re: Amel's suggestion to run the Volvo D3-110 (A54) daily while on passage

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill, all this conversation is moving me to do a first time look at the exhaust flap. I guess the larger stainless tube is separated from  the hull and the exhaust hose to access it, or perhaps the hose can be left in place and the unit flexed back???

I would add a comment regarding the variety of systems being suggested as "improvements" to the exhaust system.

Henri in his inimitable fashion has thought it all through, considered the potential failure of all the alternatives, and decided the most bullet proof system was the start the motor for a few minutes every day rule.

This has the significant added benefit for boats on extended passages of ensuring the engine is in perfect starting order at all times. A spine tingler is to find the motor wont start in an emergency situation. With over 50,000 ocean miles under my belt on Ocean Pearl  I consider it an absolute that the engine and gen set is started daily to ensure all systems are go at all times. It is one of those rules that will keep you alive when you really need it.

So my thoughts: keep or return your system to the Amel standard and follow the advice from Amel

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2020 at 09:55 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Mike,

You wrote:  Hi Bill - do you mean that last section of exhaust looks modified/non-Amel or just generally speaking?
The answers to your questions are yes & yes.

See the attached as it may help you. Your SM, when new, probably had the plastic Vetus water muffler, not a stainless steel muffler. I assume there are previous owner modifications.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 2:45 PM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse= gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mike

I'll send you something directly that will probably help.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020, 2:16 PM Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) < svtrilogy53@...> wrote:
Hi Alex,

My understanding of the anti-siphon on the raw water line (between the exit from heat exchanger and input to exhaust elbow), is to prevent continuous water flow (after engine shutdown) through the intake line should something in the line break/leak/disconnect/etc. The design of most raw water pumps prevents this continuous flow as long as the vanes of the impeller are intact. The flow of water out of the anti-siphon while the engine is running provides a good visual check that 1. your anti-siphon is working and not clogged and 2. that your engine is getting a good supply of raw water for cooling. I'm not sure I follow Oliver's comment about water standing above the engine for long periods because I'm pretty sure the water would find it's way down to the muffler with or without a siphon break at the top. Again, this assumes your raw water pump/impeller is fully functional, and those certainly fail from time to time. So a working anti-siphon is a good way to ensure your engine doesn't flood and/or your boat doesn't sink.

I may be wrong on some of this so if anyone has any other input please share.

Also... I'm still searching for any information on the rubber anti-return flap at the end of the exhaust line near the through hull. Has anyone bought, replaced, or fabricated something like this for their Amel?

Regards,
Mike
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ