From: David Mackintosh <dlm48@...>
Subject: Re: [Amel] shaft driven alternator
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 3:41 AM

YES and NO there is theory and there is practice.... ...on my O461 the boat

IS faster by up to a knot (unless you are at hull speed with plenty of wind)

if you let the prop free wheel and i know this is contrary to scientific

theory...i guess the prop is uneducated. I have discovered that this is the

case on quite a few boats i have sailed too - so this is not a one off

phenomenon.

Driving a shaft generator would i 'think' cause more drag - as you dont get

nothing for nothing - and the energy to drive that alternator has to come

from somewhere. However if you have an excess of sail power you 'might' not

see a decrease in boat speed which after all is all that matters. I am

ignoring wear and noise issues (for the pedantic).

regards

David

2009/5/3 Dave Benjamin <dave_benjamin@ yahoo.com>

Ettore and Silvana,
You are defying the laws of physics and hydrodynamics if you really think
the shaft alternator does not slow the boat down. In fact the turning
propeller acts almost like a disc. It generated more resistance than it
would if it was stationary. I would use one if it was already installed but
I would not go out of my way to install a speed brake like that. There are
some solutions in the form of a unit that is deployed from the transom. One
of my neighbors used one to and from Hawaii and it generated electricity
quite well.
--- On Sun, 5/3/09, Arca di Noè <arcadinoesailing@ hotmail.com<arcadinoesailing% 40hotmail. com>>
From: Arca di Noè <arcadinoesailing@ hotmail.com<arcadinoesailing% 40hotmail. com>
To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com <amelyachtowners% 40yahoogroups. com>
Date: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 9:43 AM
Hi David and Hazel,
We use the shaft driven alternator in our Mango with much satisfaction.
No reduction the speed on sailing.
It will give 7/9 amp when running at 7/8 knots.
It don't works down 4 knots.
Very very important: if you have Hurth gearbox or similar, is imperative to
run the motor half our every 12 ours, to lubricate the gearbox because r
shaft running isn't enaugh to lubricate the interior of the gearbox: if the
motor is not on, is easy to break the interior disks of the gearbox.
Now our Mango is independent for the electriciy of Marina: 2 solar panel
and 1 wind generator is perfectly.
With 15/20 wind knots We have cooking the pizza in the electric four at
220v!!!
Ettore & Silvana of Arca di Noè