Re: A54 engine anti siphon vent

Porter McRoberts

Very important and astute observation. We do the same. Luckily we have little ladies who get paid for a weekly clean out of the salt water system. Also, first time I started the engine with Bill Rouse on board he reflexively pointed me to that siphon to look and listen to the stream in the starboard cockpit drain. Just yet another reason I’m so thankful we did the Amel school.
Porter
A54-152. IBIS

On Jan 28, 2020, at 8:01 PM, Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Over the few years we have owned Garulfo, we came to notice that the anti siphon vent for the engine that exits in the starboard cockpit drain hole was a good tell tale of a restriction in the raw water line:

when everything is clear (intake thru hull, vetus strainer, transmission heat exchanger, impeller, etc), the stream of water out of the vent line into the drain is continuous and silent,

when the flow is restricted, the initial spurting of water and exhaust gaz continues to the point of becoming annoying and I know i need to go and clean something. After clearing the line, the flow is back to normal.

Do other A54 owners share the same experience? Do my conclusions make sense, or is it some kind of coincidence?

Any feedback welcome!

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122