Re: SSB Ground

Joerg,

I am no SSB expert. Sometimes I think there is as much art to "fine-tuning" an SSB system as there is science. Maybe you need advice from one of those "artists."

You want to be careful in connecting anything that is connected to the bonding system and I believe your fuel tank is bonded. If so, connecting to it will connect you to everything that is bonded. Several SSB experts that I know suggest using resin to attach copper foil to the inside of the hull below the waterline to increase the ground area. Check the area I shaded which is inside your watertight steering compartment. I believe this is the actual hull rather than a false bottom. This area should be close enough to your Tuner to connect. Maybe covering this area with copper foil will give you a better ground.
image.png

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:59 AM Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On my boat, I have the Amel provided SSB installation with the whip antenna and 2 dynaplates on the skeg as ground.  I've participated in the MedNet a bit over the last couple of years and have noticed that I often can hear boats yet they cannot hear me or can hear only a weak signal.  More often then not, my transmission seems to come in weak.  I have spoken to a number of SSB experts in the last couple of years and made some modifications to the installation which have been somewhat successful.  I still think that I my SSB creates a weaker signal than most others.  I've now spoken to another expert here on the US West Coast who suggests to increase the amount of ground the boat has by connecting more metal inside the boat to the ground system.  I'm thinking of connecting the fuel tank to the SSB ground, for example.  The connection would be by 7 cm wide copper tape - so it's not an easy thing to do as the fuel tank and the Antenna tuner are separated by a watertight bulkhead.  Has anyone done this or done something else that has helped?

Many thanks for any advice!  Cheers Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53, Kincsem