Re: Steyr motor turbocharger complete

ngtnewington Newington

On Amelia we have the  Volvo Penta D3 110.

In the Volvo manual that came with the boat, in it’s  original Amel folder, there was a note to say that as a matter of maintenance one should spray  lubricant like WD40, onto the actuator lever on the turbo and work it as it has a tendency to seize.

This is something that I regularly do.

Nick

Amelia AML 54-019
Kilada Greece.

On 30 Jan 2020, at 16:58, Jose Alegria <Josealegr@...> wrote:

Thank you Mark

Jose Alegria
Amel55 #03-MERIT
+351918663037

No dia 30/01/2020, às 17:38, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> escreveu:

Sorry I have not responded sooner, have been off the boat without internet for a bit.  On the Volvo D3 – 110 you can see the round vacuum actuator attached to a rod that leads up to an eccentric or cam on the turbo.  Although Volvo calls this a variable geometry actuator, fancy terminology for a way to change the angle of the blades to change the amount of boost pressure as engine load changes.  Mine was sticking and giving an engine error code.  Virtually every company I talked with said the turbo had to be rebuilt.  I found a very helpful Volvo dealership that sent me the attached service bulletin.  I sprayed the actuator and eccentric then worked both back and forth with a screwdriver to free it up, my problem was solved.  This may be the issue you are having.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54