Re: Reefing and sail-handling on conventionally rigged Maramu, versus electric furling?

David Wallace

Paul,

Our 1982 Maramu did not have a reefing line or the halyard led to the cockpit. There were winches on the main mast for the halyard and for the reefing lines.

We also wanted the safety of managing all the sails from the cockpit so installed a Profurl furling boom and led the two lines to an electric winch mounted in the cockpit just to stbd of the companionway. The furling boom also gives you the added advantage of being to furl the main up to about 45 degrees off the wind since the sail goes up in a foil offset from the main: the foil is mounted on pins that are secured in the original mast sail track, and they are free to rotate. We had to drill holes through the cockpit base for the hard dodger to lead the lines through. Do that carefully, there’s a cable way full of wires in there!

Good luck in your search,

Dave Wallace
sv Air Ops
Maramu #104

On Feb 3, 2020, at 10:48 AM, Paul Villinski <paul@...> wrote:

Hello Brain Trust,

We are in the market for a Maramu or Santorin within striking distance of the US East Coast. I have been focused on 1985 or later vessels with electric furling main and genoa, as ease of reefing and sail-handling from the cockpit is very important to us. However, there are currently no boats with electric furling for sale near the East Coast, and I am now wondering about looking at earlier, conventionally rigged boats. My question for pre-1985 Maramu owners is: are the main halyard and reefing lines normally led back to the cockpit -- was the boat set up this way by the factory? Is it possible to hoist and reef the main and mizzen without leaving the cockpit? If this was not the original set-up, have owners modified their running rigging to make this possible? Finally, how do owners think about the value of electric furling on a Maramu versus conventional set-up? My inclination is to wait for a later boat with electric furling to come on the market, but I may be prioritizing this too much. I will appreciate you input and experience!

Many thanks,
Paul Villinski
NYC
currently sailing a 1986 Sabre 32