Re: Reefing and sail-handling on conventionally rigged Maramu, versus electric furling?

sbmesasailor

Hi Paul,

If you have been reading this site for a while, you will have seen entries regarding the repair/maintenance of the motors and/or rigging of the electrical furling systems.  Don't get me wrong, this is not specific to Amels, it's just that the marine environment is very hard on electronics in general.

For this reason, I swapped out the genoa electric furler on my 1982 Maramu for a manual one.  After almost 20 years and a trip around the world, I haven't touched it other than to furl or unfurl the sail.

Before we left on our world tour, I routed the mail halyard, the first and second reefing lines, and a boom vang back to the cockpit and installed clutches (three on each side of the cockpit dash) and two winches (one on each side).  Obviously the benefit of this rigging is the absence of electric furling and that it's so convenient to reef the main, that I would always reef the minute it seemed appropriate.

If you decide to go this way (as was stated in another entry) you must be very careful boring holes through the dodger as the dash gauges have their cables running through the area you will be boring through.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121