Re: A54 fridge circulation pump

Scott,

Oliver states: "This adapter is hooked up directly to the E51385 Box"
Again, you found the exact question to ask. What is the "adapter?"

My guess also is that the "adapter" is a relay, taking 12 volts from the Danfoss "fan" output on one side of the relay, and closing 24 volts on the other side of the relay, thus energizing a 24-volt circuit to the VESC which utilizes programmable logic and different sensors to energize a 24-volt pump motor. I believe that this "relay" would need to be installed for each of the refrigeration units. If that is true, and the primary goal is to get longer life from the motor, then why not simply use all of the existing Amel installed components, including the E51385 pump controller, except substitute a 12-volt brushless motor for the Flowjet motor? I believe that Oliver has designed and installed something that works well for him, but we are 68 messages in this thread and the system Oliver designed still eludes enough description for even an electrical engineer to duplicate.

I really think that I should shut this thread down because it is very misleading to all of the non-engineers, who happen to be a very large majority of our members. In fact, we are still guessing about this system. I saw where one member has already ordered some components.

But, I am very interested in the specifics of Oliver's solution. If we cannot get to a specific duplicatable plan, I will shut this thread down and those interested will need to contact Oliver directly and off-group.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 7:44 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Oliver,

Thanks for responding. I think you have the best solution we have heard of - we will all be very grateful if we can solve this annoying problem. A few questions for you:

1) Will you be willing to sell me this "more simple adapter"? You're obviously far more versed in electrical engineering than I am. I currently have the setup with 1 fridge and 2 fridge/freezers which each have a Frigoboat W50F compressor. The 1 fridge has a built in thermostat and the 2 fridge/freezers have this thermostat: https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/product/frigomatic-twin-thermostat-for-fridge-or-freezer/.    Those are fed to the E51385 Box.

2) My system uses fresh water to cool the fridges. I assume I can put a temp sensor in the freshwater return? The additional complication not necessary for me, but if you think it drastically improves efficiency, I'm willing to do it.

3) Also, given my basic setup, is there a way to coordinate the compressor run times without adding the MCU? I believe I could reduce pump duty cycle if the fridges/freezers would try to run at the same time. Again, if it's too complicated, I don't need it.

4) Is there a 12v pump available? I would rather use the 12v output of the E51385 than put in another relay.

I would assume if I use a 24v motor, the way to get 24v would be to use the E51385 output to control a Hella relay, which would then pass through 24v that I get from the posts near the chain wash pump. Since I'm at 80%+ duty cycle, I would rather not have a relay that is energized all the time for heat, longevity and energy consumption reasons.

Your solution is the best we've seen and I'm sure many of us will want to copy it. I'm hoping it is something that can be installed and managed by someone without your technical skills.

Thanks in advance

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69