Re: AM54 inverter 24/220 volts

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello and welcome to the group;

You will get to love your A54 as you get more familiar with her. A truly magnificent exploration machine.

The inverter is installed on a bulkhead in the engine room, next to the two chargers. There is a remote inverter switch on the generator panel in the galley. When not on shore power and generator is off, you can power the 220V breaker and the microwave breaker by turning the remote inverter switch on.

You should turn the remote switch on, wait for the green inverter light to come on and then turn on the breaker. Keep in mind that you need to make sure that the power draw does not exceed the capacity of your inverter. You can see what size inverter you have by checking the model on the unit in the engine room. On ours we had the 2500 W initially installed. Also keep in mind that inverter rating is temperature related and as the temperature goes up, the inverter capacity goes down. You can also find this information on the spec sheets, when you have figured out what inverter is installed. Also, do not use the toaster function of the microwave/toaster with the inverter.

This is the setup on our 54, yours may differ slightly.

I would like to point out that there are so many systems on board, that getting some training from an experience Amel owner, will help you come up to speed months and maybe years quicker and get a lot more enjoyment out of your Amel.  Without sounding like a plug, I would recommend Bill Rouse’s service. He is a knowledgeable previous Amel owner that has circumnavigated and is passionate about Amels and has assisted many on the technical aspects of our complex yachts.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of ULRICH DANGELMEYER via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2020 9:07 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] AM54 inverter 24/220 volts

Hello, Amelians,

we have long been gratefully following the valuable and helpful exchange of experiences in this great round. We are happy owners of "Soleil Bleu", AM54 / 88, which is currently hibernating in Leros, Greece. We will be back on board in April.

Since we haven't known our boat in detail for so long, I have a simple question: on the AM 54 a 24/220 Volts inverter should be installed, so that 220 V can be drawn from the sockets via the batteries even without a generator or shore power. So far I haven't discovered this inverter: where is it installed and how do I activate it? At the control panel there is only a fuse for 220 V sockets. But this does not work without external power supply. Is there anything special to consider to avoid damage. Up to now, we have always switched on the generator to draw 220 V on the road.

Thanks for any good advice from you all on this topic, also as a side issue.

Best Regards and always fair winds and one hand whisky in the bilge!

Ulrich Michael & Beate
"Soleil Bleu" /AM54#88

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.