Re: SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bushing

Jean-Pierre Massicotte

Hello Mike, Amel recommandations is to change the seals and bushing every 700 h of use. Also recommend 2 seals protecting the oil side and one on the water side.

We before crossing the Pacific we reverse this logic since haul up facility are fare apart and if water get in here it could make a big mess in the engine room by over flowing.
(We use the shaft alternator during all crossing)
It's very important to clean well the seal seating on the water side and make sure no residue remain.

Regards

Jean Pierre Massicotte
SN 51

On Sun., Feb. 9, 2020, 09:51 Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io, <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mike,
I suspect there is nothing new on this nor any particular consensus - it may well have migrated from engineering to philosophy ;-)
If yours is fine you may want to follow the adage of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Or change it and in a couple of years add to the anecdotal evidence being accumulated.
Cheers, Craig