Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 2nd Forestay on Super Maramu

eric freedman

Hi Steve,

We had a similar sail a 110 % Yankee cut headsail . It is made from 10.5 Oz material.

It is bulletproof and we have had it up in 40-45 knots.

It’s a great sail.

When we go offshore we always start with that sail and change it out if we have a forecast of extended light winds.

The shape when it is furled is not perfect however I would not want to drill a hole through my deck to mount a track.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 7:14 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] [Amel Yacht Owners] 2nd Forestay on Super Maramu

Hi Steve,

we have a 90% built for us by Super Sailmakers in Ft Lauderdale. We wanted a heavy weather sail. They made it with a high cut Yankee type foot to allow room for breaking seas over the deck. At the head they put a tape probably 2 meters long because the sail would have been too tall and narrow if it went to the top of the mast head fore stay. It looked incredibly small compared to the 155% and I commented to him it would only be of use in strong winds. He disagreed and was right. Over 10 knots true wind speed going to windward would be very close to the big sail performance. 15 knots and more as good or better and a whole lot easier to handle. So certainly the 90% could be rigged if you anticipate extended windward sailing.And if the wind gets too much it is furlable. We use the same outboard track as the big genoa

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 10 February 2020 at 12:39 Steve Bode <Whatsup@...> wrote:

This is a very interesting thread! I love the way Intention sails in all wind conditions! Last summer, we were punching into 30+ knots apparent with two reefs in the genoa, no main and one reef in the mizzen and she was ever so happy to do so. I was very pleased. 

Sorry if this is not the right thread for this question, but I see several people in this thread mention a 90% jib. That's what I'd like because sailing in the med, we often need to punch into the wind for days and a 90 would be built for the task. The issue is when we reef the genoa, while the sail shape is okay, the leads are so far outboard that we can't point. Again, I am NOT interested in rigging a staysail stay. I would drop the genoa and raise the 'blade' instead of the Genoa.
So, here are my questions;

1. Would buying a new 90 and laying a new track on the deck that was more inboard be a good idea or not?

2. Has anyone out there actually done something like this on their SM and what was your experience? I saw pictures of a SM with a self-tacking track setup (SV Nomad) and a staysail. Mind you, I am NOT interested in a staysail, I would drop the jib and rig the 90 on days when I know I'm headed upwind all day...or all week.

Many thanks for your input.

THIS IS SV NOMAD 

--
Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention
Amel SM #117 (1994)
+1 415 710-6659 Mobile/Text/WhatsApp
facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco
svintention.com

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.