Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 2nd Forestay on Super Maramu

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Steve and Alan,

we dont have the inner forestay so fly the 90% off the main stay. I have tried a barber hauler system to sheet it inboard. Not worth the effort so we just sheet it to the outer track. Works fine. Sir Peter Blake, a renowned NZ off shore and round the world racer advised to always sail with slightly cracked (eased) sheets going to windward off shore. Gave a better overall outcome he maintained. Henri must have been of the same persuasion.

In rough weather it can reduce pounding significantly. Important if you want your boat to last.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 10 February 2020 at 19:40 Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

We actually have an inner forestay with a staysail on it, and the problem you would have, as we do, is that in trying to sheet it in, the leech fouls the forward lower stay.

We do actually fly it inside the stay but furled in so it doesn't foul the stay, in heavy weather going to windward.

I doubt very much you would be able to sheet a 90% genoa on the main forestay without furling it to clear that forward lower.

Cheers

Alan
Elyse SM437