Re: SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bushing

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I appreciate both schools of thought here. Great diagram Bill, I'm hoping to find my current seals in this orientation. I'll report back any worthwhile findings when I do this job in April. I'm sure thorough prep and careful installation are crucial.

Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020, 5:46 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
If you had a choice of:
Choice A protecting the loss of oil and destruction of the C-Drive
Choice B protecting from some seawater intrusion causing a haulout
Which would you choose?
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 11:15 AM Jean-Pierre Massicotte <Massicotte.j.p@...> wrote:
Hello Mike, Amel recommandations is to change the seals and bushing every 700 h of use. Also recommend 2 seals protecting the oil side and one on the water side.

We before crossing the Pacific we reverse this logic since haul up facility are fare apart and if water get in here it could make a big mess in the engine room by over flowing.
(We use the shaft alternator during all crossing)
It's very important to clean well the seal seating on the water side and make sure no residue remain.

Regards

Jean Pierre Massicotte
SN 51

On Sun., Feb. 9, 2020, 09:51 Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io, <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mike,
I suspect there is nothing new on this nor any particular consensus - it may well have migrated from engineering to philosophy ;-)
If yours is fine you may want to follow the adage of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Or change it and in a couple of years add to the anecdotal evidence being accumulated.
Cheers, Craig