Re: SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bushing

Mike,

My guess is that 99% of water egress is caused by one or more of these mistakes/omissions:
1.) Seals and/or wear bushings NOT purchased from Amel.
2.) The wall of the seal cavity NOT completely cleaned with emery cloth (see below).
3.) The seals NOT oriented according to Amel specs.
4.) The seals NOT inserted the correct depth.
5.) The seals NOT completely greased with waterproof grease
6.) The wear bushing O ring NOT greased and/or not the correct size
7.) The propeller shaft NOT completely cleaned where the wear bushing O ring meets the shaft.
8.) Did not follow the instructions
9.) Trusted a mechanic who said he could do the job

Here is a really good tip for you:
To clean the inside wall of the seal cavity, use a curved file with 400 grit
wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around the end. This must be clean and smooth.
Ensure this is done correctly.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I appreciate both schools of thought here. Great diagram Bill, I'm hoping to find my current seals in this orientation. I'll report back any worthwhile findings when I do this job in April. I'm sure thorough prep and careful installation are crucial.

Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020, 5:46 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
If you had a choice of:
Choice A protecting the loss of oil and destruction of the C-Drive
Choice B protecting from some seawater intrusion causing a haulout
Which would you choose?
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 11:15 AM Jean-Pierre Massicotte <Massicotte.j.p@...> wrote:
Hello Mike, Amel recommandations is to change the seals and bushing every 700 h of use. Also recommend 2 seals protecting the oil side and one on the water side.

We before crossing the Pacific we reverse this logic since haul up facility are fare apart and if water get in here it could make a big mess in the engine room by over flowing.
(We use the shaft alternator during all crossing)
It's very important to clean well the seal seating on the water side and make sure no residue remain.

Regards

Jean Pierre Massicotte
SN 51

On Sun., Feb. 9, 2020, 09:51 Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io, <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mike,
I suspect there is nothing new on this nor any particular consensus - it may well have migrated from engineering to philosophy ;-)
If yours is fine you may want to follow the adage of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Or change it and in a couple of years add to the anecdotal evidence being accumulated.
Cheers, Craig