From: Craig & Katherine
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:17 PM
Subject: [Amel] Re: Vertical Batons

Just to balance this thread, I recently helped Kent Robertson sail "Kristy", his new-to-him SM#243, from Galveston to Key West. (You may recall his postings back in March & April). He had just installed new sails with vertical battens in the main.

Kent may want to weigh in here, too, but IMHO, the vertical battens were great. They furled flawlessly in heavy and light air and the sail was always beautifully shaped. No way to know definitively about added speed, but to an old racing skipper's eye they were the cat's meow.

Certainly the point about potential furling problems is prefectly valid and a very conservative approach may argue against them - a few tenths of a knot, perhaps, vs. a higher comfort level, but, hey, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla - take your pick!

Cheers,
Craig Briggs - Santorin #68 "Sangaris" in Siracusa, Sicily