Re: Holding power of Mooring Ball required for hurricanes

Matt Salatino

The best protection from a direct hurricane hit is 100 nm.
Grenada was hit by Ivan in 2004. It damaged most of the boats there. Grenada has learned since, and has improved their yard storage.
Grenada, though on the south edge of the “box”, has seen a dozen or more hurricanes in the past 70 years. If I were to spend the season aboard, Grenada would be my choice. Given all big storms in that region originate in Africa, you have at least 5 days notice to hop 80 miles to Trinidad.
Trinidad is out of the box. 3 hurricanes in 100 years. Two dozen tropical storms. When we were in the eastern Carib, we chose to leave the boat, on the hard, in Trinidad.
Do NOT leave a boat you value, long term, unattended on a mooring. No one your paying to “watch” it will renew the mooring pennants during a storm. Your lines will chafe. You’ll lose the boat.
So, my recommendation.
Trinidad to leave the boat. Grenada to live aboard for the summer.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 12, 2020, at 8:28 PM, Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...> wrote:

Hi

A mooring ball is rated in terms of holding power but I don’t understand what that means.  I also don’t know what holding power is required to hold a Super Maramu in a hurricane.  Could someone please explain if a 5t holding power would be sufficient or inadequate?

I am trying to figure out what is the best option, to leave the boat on the hard (chocked and tied down) or in a marina (spider web of lines) or on a mooring ball.  We wish to leave our boat in Grenada during the hurricane season while we will be away the entire time.  (We will have someone check it regularly.)

Should the water tank be full or empty?  I guess if storing on land more weight is better, and in water less weight is better, but I am guessing.

Thanks
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151