Re: 220 volt exhaust blower replacement

JOHN HAYES

Mike we run them only when the motor is running
And have put in a seperate switch to turn them on and off

Currently we heading south to bluff before the entrails of the cyclone gets there and then will head south to the Auckland islands

Our issue the reverse of yours spent the day fiddling with the fuel flow to the diesel heater eventually getting it right .... we need heat not cold for the next few weeks

Give me a shout if you are coming to Wellington

On 14/02/2020, at 3:29 PM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Thanks John.

I do have the normal engine room blowers that run when the ignition key is turned, but maybe you're on to something with the inexpensive 12V fans.

The Onan genset has a 12V alternator so could a simple 12V fan do the job here? Then it's just a matter of having it power on automatically, or remembering if it's manual.

I still think the best choice is tapping into the excess 220V power. But perhaps the 12V starter circuit is an easier and less expensive option. Any reason to not do this? Obviously maintaining the shared 12V starter battery is essential and not something you want to mess up.

Regards,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020, 3:17 PM JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:
Hi Mike

I have 2 new 12 volt fans in my Santorin purchased in Wellington last year they were about nz$ 30 each and a common industrial type and performed well during 4 months in the pacific and are going well as we motor towards banks peninsula without any wind on our way to the Auckland islands

On the Santorin one fan sucks air in the other pushes it out through the port cockpit coaming

The 2 fans  move a significant volume of air

Best

John Hayes
Nga Waka
Sn 41

On 13/02/2020, at 2:56 PM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas, Bob and Suzanne, anyone else with advice here,

Did you find a suitable 220V fan that you are happy with? I need to install something to keep the engine room cool while generator, water maker, battery charger, etc. are running. Currently I leave the engine room cover open when I can, not a good set up.

Thomas, I like your idea of a less expensive industrial type fan. Did you find one that works? Can you recommend a brand, model, CFM rating?

I'm currently in New Zealand if anyone has any suggestions of where to look.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ