Re: Engine Mounts and Decoupling Vetus/Engine Block

michael winand

I have recently been through this process with a new installation.
You may find that the c drive mounts have sagged from the original position  just a few mm as the c drive is in 2 sections. Your engine mounts have probably sagged as well.
I would begin with the current drive mounts and then the engine mounts. I gave everything a really good clean up with the engine lifted.

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 at 2:06 am, Alan "Woody" Wood
<woody@...> wrote:
Hi All

I've got a few jobs that require decoupling the Vetus from the engine block:

  • Changing engine mounts
  • Changing the Vetus rubber coupling parts
  • Replacing an oil seal/gasket on the flywheel bell housing (it's very leaky!).

I've trawled the threads and got a fair idea of what to do for the most part (I think!), so thanks to all who contributed, but still have a few questions:

  • What engine mounts are used on SM 97's with a TMD 22 engine - there seems to be plenty of discussion on the subject but no definitive answer?
  • How exactly does the alignment tool (designed by Eric Freedman I think) work in practice?
  • There is a bit of discussion about 'the trick' to avoid cutting the heads off the coupling bolts - how does this work in practice?
Anything else you think I should consider while it's all apart? I have the added complication of a prop alternator fitted to the shaft by the way :/

Thanks in advance!

Woody
SM'97