Re: Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Mohammed

1. No opinion

2. We have an AB 9.5 UL and it is sufficient. Has the big sausages and it’s dry and very quick. Good for long distance shopping if anchored remotely.

3 IMO. The best ob is the 2 stroke Yamaha Enduro 15 HP. More torque, more top speed and being 2 str, even my female weakling can start it. Not so with my previous Honda vibrator 5 hp 4 str.

4. Hypalon should be your only choice; the sun will kill the other one very quickly

Come join us in the Pacific. :-)

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, Marsden Cove, NZ

On 17/02/2020, at 3:33 PM, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Although I don't have davits I can say that a 3.10 meter dingy fits nicely on the aft coach-roof assuming you cover the shower-hatch.. My guess is that 3.40 meter would be very tight.
Typically we keep it on the aft coach-roof and also deflated. Ours has a polyester bottom (a very simple PVC model from Plastimo). In the marina where we typically are we move the dingy a bit aft to clear the shower hatch. It then interferes with the mizzen-traveller, but in the marina there is obviously now issue with that. It also limits the opening of the aft locker in that position, we need to secure it to stay open.

PVC/Hypalon. From what I saw the price-difference is not that big. but is has been a while since I looked. If you want to keep the dingy for several years in the tropics and use it intensively, there is only the choice for Hypalon, unless you make/buy tube covers. Here in the Caribbean you see almost exclusively Hypalon apart from a poor guy on an Amel 54 ;-)

Cheers,

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121