Re: Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

Peter Forbes

Dear Mohammad,

I have Highfiled PVC and it has lasted well for 5 years and still going strong. I think it is a 270 and takes a 6 HP Yamaha and fine inflated on the back deck for ocean crossings. It holds 4 adults and some kit. It is also light enough to hoist on my aft solar arch for shorter crossings. The Hypalon is, I was told, better but ours lasted for a circumnavigation and is still going well - I guess it will last 10 years. It has a metal lower hull and a front small stowage.

best wishes

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango
AMEL 54 #035
La Rochelle
00447836 209730
07836 209730

On 17 Feb 2020, at 00:54, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi all;

We are in the process of selecting a new tender. We are considering the Highfield CL310 or CL340. I would appreciate input on the following issues:

  1. Opinions on the Highfield line of tenders. Good or bad.
  2. The CL310 seems to be a bit short and the bow may not sit firmly on the Davit when pulled up. The CL340 works great but will be wider the transom creating issues in tight docking quarters. What is the shortest length used by A54 owners with success?
  3. Can some one provide a measurement from the back of the mizzenmast to the mizzen traveler? I’d like to see which tender would fit on the aft sundeck.
  4. Opinions on carrying the tender deflated, pulled up and firmly lashed to the Davits during crossings? I’m concerned about following seas and waves hitting the tender and placing a substantial force on the Davits.
  5. PVC or Hypalon? There is about a 2000 Euro upcharge for Hypalon.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099