Re: Are Amel boats quiet?

Ryan Meador

I agree that SM is a very quiet boat.  Essentially no squeaking in big seas and wind, and a tiny bit of thermal expansion/contraction noise.  There is one way that the SM makes some noise though, and I feel it needs to be mentioned (there was even a thread about it not long ago): waves slapping against the stern.  This is most noticeable when the boat is empty (i.e. new to you).  Filling the boat with stuff, especially the stern locker, significantly reduces the noise.  You'll get used to it quickly, as well.  I don't recall hearing it in a long time, but it was very noticeable the first few days after we bought it.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 2:16 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Yes they are quiet....almost totally
We had an annoying squeak last year in big seas, it was traced to one of the bolts holding down the hard dodger. Tightened it and the others, squeak gone.
The only noise we have is from the sea running past the boat ( I quite like that), and sometimes going up wind and a bit overpowered, she slams.
We have lock downs on our opening floorboards to prevent them opening but I would have to say we have never had any cupboards come open, not even the drawers just forward of the nav station, and we have been in some pretty rough stuff sometimes.
I have never ever seen any boat that is as well constructed as our Amel SM 2000, and it was gratifying to see at La Rochelle last year the the new 50 and 60 are built in exactly the same way.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437