Re: Recommended solar panel brand

Joerg Esdorn

The Amel installation includes a Victron 150/35 MPPT controller.  I have observed that shading is definitely an issue.  As the sun makes its way around, there are always times when the mizzen boom, mizzen mast, SSB whip antenna and even the US ensign makes a minor amount of shade, resulting sometimes in a big drop of output.  I have no experience with panels that do not have blocking diodes So I’m wondering how much worse the impact of shading would be. I also wonder why Amel installed the panels in series rather than Parallel as there is a tradeoff im sure.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem