Re: Lock downs on floor boards

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Bill et al,

These latches were installed by Amel at the yard during the build.  (Sometimes... Amel did some customisation to get a sale)

The first owner was a Luxemburger (Jean-Pierre Friedrich) and when he ordered, he was either on his second or third Amel; apparently, the yard hid the boat to prevent Mr Henri from seeing what the marketing people had agreed to do beyond normal in order to secure the sale.  The original owner was also looking at an HR unless he got some changes accepted.

For instance, the single in the salon is in fact a double on this boat.  Additionally, all watertight doors are reinforced substantially and have large internal locks to prevent cabin access in event of an unfriendly boarding.

Add this one to your unusual anecdotes at Amel.

For other options, reach out to the new owner of 444... he has latched floor boards.  Done in Europe to a very high standard.

BTW, Aquarius is lovely

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007, NZ

On 20 Feb 2020, at 09:23, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

JP, Ken, et al
Hé single
None of the other hundred or more SMs that I have been aboard had PERKO latches. Perco is a Florida companyring . If anyone is interested in the latches shown in the photos that were added to this SM, here is the contact information:
Perko Inc.
16490 Northwest 13th Avenue
Miami, Florida 33169-5707
305.621.7525 [Phone]

I am not sure where in Europe Amel sourced the latches that Amel optionally installed on SMs. Regarding the installation of floor latches/locks, I have always believed that having the floor hatches locked in case of a roll inverting the boat would be the least of my worries. That said, BeBe SM 387 had Amel installed latches and they were not Perko.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 1:20 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
Hi Gang,

Our friends Ken and Zeville on SM2K Aquarius sent us this. Their floor boards were built like this at the factory

Cheers

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>
Date: 20 February 2020 at 5:20:16 AM NZDT
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re:  [AmelYachtOwners] Lock downs on floor boards

Here are photos of the Lock Downs on Aquarius.

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K #262

<HookedHere.jpg>