Re: Size of main anchor for Super Maramu

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Steven,

We are still waiting for delivery of our 47kg Mantus anchor, but the research I did on the working load of the 1200W Lofrans winch provided proof that the winch will handle raising the anchor and chain, providing good anchoring techniques are used ie motoring up to the anchor and breaking out the anchor by motoring over it rather than using the winch.

The maximum pulling power of the 1200W Lofrans winch is well with in the limits of raising the weight of 80m of 10mm chain and 47kg anchor, should you ever require to do this, ie drag anchor into deeper water. I will test our winch however to be certain as part of the trials once we have have our new anchor on board.

We will not change our current 10mm anchor chain.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SV INTREPID KIWI

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 10:13 pm, Stephen Nicholson <stevenich@...> wrote:

Hello Ross,
Many thanks for your reply about fitting a 105 Mantus anchor!
I would be very grateful if you would advise me if you, or other Amel owners you know, increased chain size or windlass size etc when fitting the new Mantus anchor, in order to cope with the extra weight involved.
Many Thanks,
Steve Nicholson
SM Antigua II #89

On 18 Feb 2020, at 11:40, Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via Groups.Io <southernadventurer@...> wrote:

 Hi,
There are a number of Amel yachts that have Mantus anchors fitted including several SM that have a 105lb Mantus. We are in the process of fitting one on our SM2K.

Here is an article of one such boat that fitted the Mantus 105lb.

Regards
Ross
SV INTREPID KIWI
SM2K #356
Currently Croatia
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:03 am, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

In my opinion a 47kg Mantus is overkill. Remember that the system is as strong as its weakest link. Pay particular attention to swivels and other connectors.

I would suggest looking for something around 40kg as a maximum. For my 54 I chose a 37kg Spade anchor. When it is well set I can not budge it with a lot of power, I also went for new 10mm Grade 70 chain rather than the grade 40 and a massive Mantus swivel and special shackle that is as strong as the grade 70 chain. The original 30kg WASI is now a second anchor, but in my view it is undersized and a bit old fashioned. It does however fit well on the port roller, and is ready to go, and more or less manageable from a dinghy.

Obviously there is a good argument for a massive anchor, but as you point out you must consider the windlass and the rest of the system.

All in my humble opinion.

Nick

Amelia AML 54-019
Kilada Greece.
On 18 Feb 2020, at 08:30, Stephen Nicholson <stevenich@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,
I am about to purchase a new Mantus 47 kg (105lb) galvanised anchor for my Super Maramu, which is the same size as that on SvDelos, but quite large for an SM which seem to usually have anchors around 30kg. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find out how Delos have got on with it, but most experienced sailors say it is better to go bigger for the extra security.  With an all chain rode, 10mm I think, am I putting too much strain on the windlass on a daily basis? I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
Steve Nicholson
SM Antigua II #89