Re: Size of main anchor for Super Maramu

Arnold Mente

Hi everyone,
I am now following the discussion about the anchor and the type for a few days. I have had the following anchor types in my 35 years of sailing. CQR, Delta, Bügel and Rocna. I currently have the Rocna 33 kg on my SM. I also drove it on my Benetau 523. I think the discussion is going in the wrong direction. The connection between anchor and chain length and chain dimension is not considered. On a sailing yacht for all areas should be 100 - 120m. The chain length is essential for the horizontal forces on a well buried anchor. Only this interaction is essential for the holding force. You can also use 100 kg anchors and they will break out if there is not enough chain.

Best
Arnold
SV Zephyr
SM 203

Am 21.02.2020 um 18:52 schrieb VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...>:

Hello all.
I am one of those planning to change my current 30 Kg. stainless steel Bugel for a 48 Kg. galvanized Mantus. I confess that I have doubts between Mantus and Rocna because I very much like both. The reason for this change is because I drag anchor in a 35-40 knots wind, although I had 40 meters of chain on a four or five meters mud depth.
But I am open to comments from you, since I don't think I am among the most experienced sailors in this group...
Victor
SM #314 Alendoy

--
Arnold