Re: Size of main anchor for Super Maramu

Matt Salatino

Second on those Fatty Goodlander books. The anchoring one is excellent!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 21, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

As important as the anchor...is everything else. It’s a system, and failure suggests “causal reductionism”. The best money spent in my opinion is on “Creative Anchoring” followed by “Stormproofing your boat and crew” both by the very readable Fatty Goodlander.
PS I routinely abuse our Rocna 40kg with poor technique, low scope, anchoring in crevices, etc. I’m blown away by it’s amazing design. But it do make sure, when wind weather and current will conspire I’ve given the rocna the best chance I can with best technique. Probably the Bugel would have been fine had I been better at technique back when I thought I needed a rocna.

Porter A54-152.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Feb 21, 2020, at 11:06 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Pat, I agree completely. I am totally confident that you will be fine, if you have a Rocna, Mantus, Wasi, or any other anchor whose design was  inspired by the design of the Wasi Buegal anchor, and you practice good anchoring procedure.

I am not sure what the percentage is, but I believe that a significant portion of those that blame their anchor should look elsewhere for blame.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020, 9:47 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
It seems that many owners are opting to switch from their Rocna anchors and buy a larger Mantus ,considering the expense ,I am wondering why. Has many of you drug anchor with the Rocna? I never have ,in fact last winter my Rocna held me and a 47' Catana that drug anchor at 4am., hit my boat and then his anchor slid up my chain to my bow , my Rocna 33 held both of us for an hour in 30- 35 kt. winds ,before finally breaking out. I do wish I had the 40 for extra margin ,but given my experience over several years ,I am very confident with the Rocna. I put much more time into anchoring than most ,many just drop the hook,with little scope and rarely back down,especially rental boats ,like this Catana. Its amazing how poorly many people anchor,its no wonder many drag. I try to avoid anchoring behind anyone ,this cat anchored a day after me, about 50 yards in front of me, and didn't feel like moving,wish I had. Repairs are finally going to be done this spring.
Pat
SM #123