Re: Headliner fix


Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)
 

Hi Chip,

Trilogy (1990 SM23) needed a fix for its failing headliner when I bought her in November 2017. First attempt was to remove all the old, toxic junk between the vinyl and fiberglass. It was a brutal task and a serious health risk as Joel makes clear. We tried 3M headliner adhesive spray hoping it would stick with the disintegrating foam layer removed. We tried this in just the bow first. It didn't last more than a month.
The solution we ended up with was 1.25" wide x 0.25" thick strips of wood screwed into the ceiling about 1 foot apart. The wood we found was from an old wooden boat (marine quality and a good color match after some new varnish). We used this solution everywhere and it's holding up very well. Only if you reach up and touch the vinyl can you tell it's not really attached. I hesitated doing this at first because I wanted an original look and didn't want to put all those screws into the boat. Looking back, I wish I skipped the torture experiment in the bow and went with the wood strips first. There are other ways to tackle this issue, but these strips saved us a lot of time and money. Stay safe!

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.