Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 25 February 2020 at 09:50 "Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Gary, I was afraid of that,I had read a previous post of yours ,but thought (hoped) that the $2,600.00 included installation and additional shipping to Puerto Rico. Its amazing to me that shipping would be that expensive. It might be cheaper to fly over with a couple of empty suitcases ,I'm not sure, I'm kidding,always wanted to see La Rochelle . The inserts cost about $850. ,so shipping and duty was approx. $1,700.00.,nuts ! Would you have a guesstimate of what each piece weight was ?
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...>
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub Rail insert

Hi Pat:

I had the two pieces of rub-rail insert (I call them scupper) shipped from Amel for my hurricane repairs in Puerto Rico in Dec 2017 from Amel.  Price was $2,686 with shipping.  They were about 5 feet too long for each side but better long than short. They came as Bill indicated, on a wooden pallet (sort of a miniature pallet) about 2 to 2.5 ft square wrapped in shrink wrap. They were heavy.    So indeed, the shipping is the greater part of the cost.  About $1,000.  It was covered in my insurance  settlement.  I had been considering replacing mine when Irma/Maria intervened and gave me a bonus in that small way, (didn't make up for the lost year of sailing while repairs were made. The new scupper looks so nice I would consider pressing ahead despite the cost.  When you install it you want to make sure that it is installed in compression because it does shrink a bit.  It is easier to install when in tension but to better fill and assure it doesn't leave a gap insist on putting it in compression.  I also left it a foot too long at the stern and at the 6 month mark I made a final trimming to avoid having a gap due to shrinkage.

All the best,
Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull #335