Re: A55: fresh water pump system

Stewart,

I am not sure. Maybe someone else will have experienced this.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 7:50 PM Stuart Hemingway <stuart@...> wrote:
Hello again Bill,

We have noticed that the overflow is not overflowing when we fill the tank and it appears that the overflow is blocked in some way.

If it is then this could , I presume , affect the pressure in the system.

Is the overflow the forward , or aft , of these two outlets and what is the other one please.

Stuart

IMPORTANT- Read this first
You earlier said that the "fresh water pump runs continuously unless turned off." It may be running because it is not achieving the correct pressure, adjusting the pressure switch might correct the continued running, but it will not correct the correct pressure. I originally assumed that you either have an open leak, a closed leak. The closed leak would be water passing back through the one-way valve. However, if fresh water is not leaking into or out of the boat, it is most likely a suction leak that is causing the pump to malfunction. the suction side of the pump MUST be sealed. You cannot see a suction leak. Find the copper tube from the water tank and check it and the hose attached...check carefully all connections up to and including the fitting at the pump.

To answer your questions:
A defective solenoid rinse valve on the water maker - Check by removing the output hose from the valve to see water flow.
Defective or out of adjustment Pressure Switch - Google SQUARE D PRESSURE SWITCH adjust. Don't try to adjust this unless experienced...AND...your symptoms do not indicate a need.
The pressure was showing at 1.6 bar this morning whereas we understand that we require 1.8 / 2 bar.  1.6 bar is a little low, but not low enough to try to adjust the pressure switch unless you have read all of the material published and you are sure that you understand.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 8:45 AM Stuart Hemingway <stuart@...> wrote:

Yes, the lack of flow is caused by a lack of sufficient pressure. In my experience, the lack of pressure can be caused by:

  1. An open tap

No

  1. A break in the freshwater circuit

No

  1. A defective solenoid rinse valve on the water maker

Don’t believe so, how to check

  1. Defective solenoid flush valves on any toilet

No

  1. Defective anchor wash valve on the anchor wash (freshwater option)

No

  1. A defective impeller in the freshwater pump. (this pump has a metal impeller)

Recently checked by Amel Caraibe and found to be good

  1. A broken key securing the impeller to the shaft

Above

  1. A defective one-way valve

We have looked at this and it appears to be functioning as it should, it closes when you suck / blow

  1. Debris in the one-way valve

As above

  1. Defective or out of adjustment Pressure Switch

How to check

1 - 5 will result in a loss of freshwater.

It doesn’t look like these

6 & 7 will probably result in zero pressure and no loss of freshwater

Or these

8 & 9 can result in no pressure to partial pressure with no loss of freshwater

The aluminium sleeve / raising piece that connected the fresh water tank guage to the tank disintegrated Amel Caraibe replaced this with a plastic piece. We have done our best to remove the debris but it is possible that there was some remaining.

10 will probably not be your issue because you said the pump is running constantly with insufficient pressure

How is that adjusted please. The pressure was showing at 1.6 bar this morning whereas we understand that we require 1.8 / 2 bar.

Stuart, the reason I did not go into detail in my first response is that you did not mention any loss of freshwater. The accumulator tank allows your freshwater pump to cycle less and have longer non-running periods. The tank allows for the accumulation of water pressure because of an expandable internal bladder which is supported by air pressure on one side. If/when the internal bladder fails or air pressure supporting the bladder reduces, the pump will cycle more often.

Really appreciated Bill, we still need to find a cycle pump and try to pump the bladder up