Re: Rub Rail insert

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat,

I took my davits as baggage on a flight from NZ to Ft Lauderdale so I wouldn't think the bumper would be a problem. It doesn't need to be in a suitcase, I just wrapped the dismantled davits.

Regards

Danny

On 26 February 2020 at 02:32 "Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny, I was only sort of joking when I wrote back to Gary,a couple of hours ago, but since then we are really considering a vacation to France . We could save enough on shipping to pay for airfare ,about $850. r/t each in May .See Paris ,Normandy and La Rochelle and the Amel plant. Might need a third suitcase,I need a new bumper also ,plus missc. parts.Its a crazy idea ,but given the cost of shipping ,makes sense. Just need to determine weight and if one could fit into a large suitcase.
Pat
SM 123

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Feb 24, 2020 8:11 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub Rail insert

Pat, I am sure you will enjoy La Rochelle regardless of how much transport you save. Count that a bonus. And then you get to see the Amel facility. The waterfront is a huge line of waterfront restaurants. The market in the old town is amazing. We stayed air bnb and walked down for our cafe sidewalk breakfasts. Life like it should be lived.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 25 February 2020 at 12:17 "Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny, Diane is already checking flights and fares. $1800 buys a lot of airfare, even with the extra baggage fees. I wish I knew what they approx. weigh , thinking about 50 lbs. per side , too bad Maud cannot provide any shipping info.
Thanks,
Pat

Sent: Mon, Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Fly over Pat, La Rochelle is a great city to visit, even aside from Amel. We stayed in an Air BnB in the old part of town. Just make sure the parts are in stock before you go.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 25 February 2020 at 09:50 "Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Gary, I was afraid of that,I had read a previous post of yours ,but thought (hoped) that the $2,600.00 included installation and additional shipping to Puerto Rico. Its amazing to me that shipping would be that expensive. It might be cheaper to fly over with a couple of empty suitcases ,I'm not sure, I'm kidding,always wanted to see La Rochelle . The inserts cost about $850. ,so shipping and duty was approx. $1,700.00.,nuts ! Would you have a guesstimate of what each piece weight was ?
Thanks,
Pat

Sent: Mon, Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Hi Pat:

I had the two pieces of rub-rail insert (I call them scupper) shipped from Amel for my hurricane repairs in Puerto Rico in Dec 2017 from Amel.  Price was $2,686 with shipping.  They were about 5 feet too long for each side but better long than short. They came as Bill indicated, on a wooden pallet (sort of a miniature pallet) about 2 to 2.5 ft square wrapped in shrink wrap. They were heavy.    So indeed, the shipping is the greater part of the cost.  About $1,000.  It was covered in my insurance  settlement.  I had been considering replacing mine when Irma/Maria intervened and gave me a bonus in that small way, (didn't make up for the lost year of sailing while repairs were made. The new scupper looks so nice I would consider pressing ahead despite the cost.  When you install it you want to make sure that it is installed in compression because it does shrink a bit.  It is easier to install when in tension but to better fill and assure it doesn't leave a gap insist on putting it in compression.  I also left it a foot too long at the stern and at the 6 month mark I made a final trimming to avoid having a gap due to shrinkage.

All the best, 
Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull #335
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.