Re: Bottom paint removal problem

Mark McGovern

Pat,

I did not have them blast the keel down to bare metal.  However, they did have to epoxy coat the keel right after blasting since there were some spots where the iron was already exposed before soda blasting and the soda blasting exposed a few more spots.  Thus my comment to "remind" whoever does the soda blasting that it is an iron keel so that they are ready to apply epoxy paint immediately after blasting.  The Iron starts to rust the instant it is exposed.  I ended up doing some more extensive grinding/sanding and epoxy coating to iron keel after their work was done.  Working on the bottom of the keel is NOT fun.  In hindsight, I probably should have just had them do it but I am cheap and a bit pigheaded about these things sometimes.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara