toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
I would recommend talking to Alex Ramseyer about his setup with an Highfield. It is long enough that he can fit it very securely under the Simpsons davits with the outboard on. I don’t know if it fits on the roof, though. But if it does, it would be a very good dinghy (as far as dimensions for a 54 is concerned) imho.
4. I’ve seen 50/60ft yachts fitted with Simpsons davits carrying console dinghies with 20hp 4stroke outboards crossing is he Pacific. If the dinghy tubes are well pressed against the davits, the freeboard is ample. I wouldn’t do that it myself but then I’m very risk averse.
Hiva Oa, French Polynesia
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 06:20, Teun BAAS <teun@...
Hi Aty & Mohammad,
I have experimented with several tenders (5 in total over 2 years) including 2 HIGHFIELDS and finally settled on a OCT (Offshore Cruising Tender – made in NEW ZEALAND)
350. Extremely happy with this tender. Very light (48 kg) – lighter than the HIGHFIELD(s); high freeboard – no water coming in at all. Besides fitting on the sundeck for limited time when making a really large crossing I have it in the davits. My main
considerations were: A) No water coming in or wet butt when sitting on the side; B) Comfortable ride; C) Easy to handle when beached during low tide etc.
I might see you this week for coffee and we can discuss in detail.
Best Regards Teun
February 17, 2020
We are in the process of selecting a new tender. We are considering the Highfield CL310 or CL340. I would appreciate input on the following issues:
- Opinions on the Highfield line of tenders. Good or bad.
- The CL310 seems to be a bit short and the bow may not sit firmly on the Davit when pulled up. The CL340 works great but will be wider the transom creating issues in tight docking quarters.
What is the shortest length used by A54 owners with success?
- Can some one provide a measurement from the back of the mizzenmast to the mizzen traveler? I’d like to see which tender would fit on the aft sundeck.
- Opinions on carrying the tender deflated, pulled up and firmly lashed to the Davits during crossings? I’m concerned about following seas and waves hitting the tender and placing a
substantial force on the Davits.
- PVC or Hypalon? There is about a 2000 Euro upcharge for Hypalon.
Mohammad and Aty
AMEL 54 #099