Main sail foil connection

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi all,

My main furler appears to have a rubber “plug” fitted inside the driving hub such that the lower bolt goes through this and only the upper bolt goes through the foil. See attached (although I know it’s not that clear but you can just see it if you zoom in a lot). So in effect, the foil drops into the hub by only 3cm and is attached with only the upper bolt. I thought this may have been done by the previous owner so that the foil can then undergo more breakages before it needs to be replaced in full, but he know nothing about it. I also think that given that the fracture is probably always going to be just above the hub, this is of no consequence. I would be interested to hear if anyone has seen this before, and also hear some opinions as to whether I should continue to use it as it is or try to remove the rubber plug.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--