Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C Drive Photos

Hi Mitchell,
Were you able to go through the pictures in the "C-Drive - Technical " photo album? You'll see my unit with the fairing material cut away. That exposes the cover plate on the front of the prop shaft and another pic shows it with its 4 machine screws. You have to cut the fairing back about 1 1/2 inches to totally expose the cover plate as it is about an inch thick. Again, see the pictures. (By the way, there are a couple of pictures the entire unit being lifted out that may be of interest.)

The cover plate carries the forward shaft bearing, so once it is off the prop shaft is totally free to be lifted out by hand. You can then lift out the aft bearings. Again there are pics of all that.

Cutting back the fairing material is a destructive process because it adheres to the metal housing. I had to guess about how big the plate was, so I just cut out small pieces until I figured it out. With the pictures to go by you'll have an easier time of it.  You will, of course, have to build up new material when you reassemble. I recall I used West System epoxy with a tough filler. Not rocket science, just messy, and you can then shape it back to the original size with a sander.

If you wish, send me your email address and I'll send more pictures that I didn't post here.  I'm at sangaris at aol dot com.

Craig