Re: Headliner fix

James Alton

Bob,
   Removal of the wood panels was one of my concerns as well.  Fortunately there was some relatively recent discussion on the boards that indicated that the panels are fastened in with the bolts and screws holding the windows in place.  In addition there is apparently some silicone bonding the wood to the cabin sides.  Bill Kinney on SV Harmonie recently removed, refinished and reinstalled the panels on his SM.  Perhaps you could send him an email to get the details.  They may also be in his blog. I think that Amel solved the deteriorating foam problem with the felt backed vinyl but I am not clear on what adhesive is best to use.  When I bought my boat there were many different kinds of solvent based adhesives aboard that apparently were used by the previous owner and none of them seem to work.  A friend with another Maramu glued up his liner with a thick white glue that looks like a version of the water based Carpenters glue and it seems to be holding.   I have glued a few test areas up with minimal preparation and it seems to be working but I would not do the whole boat without more research.  One good thing about the water based white glue is water clean up, no damage to the vinyl, non toxic and easy removal from the front berglass when I take the liner down fully to do the whole boat.  Best of luck to you with your project.  These boats are well worth the effort to restore IMO.

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 4, 2020 5:40 AM, "Robert Linley via Groups.Io" <minaxibob@...> wrote:

On my older SM6 I had the drooping headliner problem. My 1st fix was the wood strips idea screwed in to hold up the sagging areas. It looked good and lasted about 10 years before I had to start chasing kittens trying to “fix” new areas. Many of the wall sections are also peeling, such as captains berth and the heads. I am now considering the real fix of a total strip and new material (with proper protection per Joel). My concern is how to handle the areas of vinyl that were glued in place at the edges behind wood trim such as the wood wall panels in the window areas etc. does anyone know if these can be removed, I see no screws or attachment methods and do not want to mess up the fine woodwork.
Bob
SM6 Minaxi