Re: Disabled guest

Bob Fritz

Kent,
The website for the Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating is http://www.crab-sailing.org/ Each year my community sailing center (not on the Chesapeake) devotes a day to sailboat rides for disabled persons. I can only say that these days are among the most rewarding sailing that I've done. The joy of our guests out on the water is almost beyond belief. I've even taken a quadriplegic person out sailing. He couldn't wait to get back to his facility to tell everyone about his day on the water.

I can't help with specifics as to how to get your uncle on and off the boat as we have students from the physical therapy program at a local university assist with loading and unloading our guests, and my boat, a non-Amel 35 footer, has lifelines that can be detached, so that bringing someone onboard from the dock is realtively easy.

Bob