Re: through hull forard head

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi.

In 2010 at the Annapolis boat show 5 or six amel crews gathered on one SM. Main topic. Unblocking heads. Prevention is better than a cure. Long flushes every time prevents salt buildup in the pipes and regular on and off of the holding tank valve to stop it sticking and most problems are delayed if not eliminated.

Regsrds

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 06 March 2020 at 08:44 Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

I just love when the heads stop working.  Not sure if it’s good to have two of them to look after, but at least it keeps the bucket clean !
Ian

On 5 Mar 2020, at 19:35, Randall <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:

Ian,
That hose has been heat treated over 13 yrs its hard as rock and I will have to do a pump out and flush as best I can as there is a 40 litre black water tank, nasty.
The handle moves fine and the shaft inside seems to move also. So either something is in the tank, or the ball is no longer attached to the handle.
Ah the joy of boating. Nothing cheap, nothing easy.

Cheers,
Randall

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 6:58 PM Ian < parkianj@...> wrote:
Suggest putting in off position. Remove hose. Then gently turn on. If water flows something may be blocking the hose.
Saves diving under boat as a first option.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

On 5 Mar 2020, at 17:59, Randall Walker < sailingalbedo@...> wrote:

Has anyone had a 90 degree shut off valve fail to turn. The handle turns but nothing flows. I hope I have a clog/blockage near the shutoff. But it may be the pin from the handle to the ball have separated. for now I will just do pump outs, but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I don't know how anything could plug this but you never know what is in there.
Randall
A54 #56